Friday, May 31, 2013

Feminism in Atheism

I have not been very active in the "atheist community" as of late but I have notied one topic that has popped up and caused significant controversy recently.

"Feminism in Atheism"

To me the talk of feminism in atheism does not sound bad nor as if they are incompatable, as to me feminism is simply people wanting equality amongst the genders, and as females have been historically below males it is called 'feminism' as opposed to, say, 'humanism'.

However, it seems as if a large portion of the community sees feminism as something else entirely, as "females above males".

I used to often frequent Pharyngula when I had more free time and the interactions between PZ Myers and Thunderf00t was what originally brought this to my attention. I had no idea how strong peoples' opinions were on feminists being in the atheist community, nor that many people saw feminists as people who wanted females to be treated superior to males.

I have not researched this topic enough to make any direct points on what is occuring, but I can say that the internet does seem to be extremely misogynistic. Every video with a woman usually has a comment about 'tits' or the word 'bitch' in it, and I find that unfortunate.

If anyone is reading this, which as of right now no one is (teehee), tell me your opinion if you know about this, or send me links about pertinent information.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment